Cheques and demand drafts which were quite commonly used years ago are now slowly vanishing, especially when RTGS, NEFT,IMPS have entered the banking sector. With the decreasing existence of Cheques and Demand Drafts, it is still seen to be the only source of payment in many sectors like while applying for the jobs, examinations, admissions, services etc. These places are still operating on cheques and demand drafts.
Demand Draft is one of the bank instruments using which an individual to transfer the payment from one bank account to the other bank account. Demand draft is quite popularly known as DD. It is the apt replacement of Cheque. When there are certain risks in regards to the cheque, Demand Draft can be used in that case quite effectively. It guarantees the transfer of the amount safely. DD is valid for the period of 3 months. The individual issuing the demand draft is said to be the drawer and the individual on whose name DD is issued is said to be the payee.
Wondering how you can issue the demand draft? Well in that case, the first and the foremost priority is having a bank account. Demand Draft can be issued offline and also online from the website. Bank accepts both cash and cheque payment for issuing demand drafts. Lets understand the process in detail by considering one of the most common banks SBI (State Bank of India). To issue a demand draft offline from SBI, you need to follow the below given steps:
- Visit the bank and ask for the demand draft from the bank. The bank can be the one in which you have an account.
- On applying for the demand draft, the bank shall give you a form to be filled. You need to fill the form and will also have to specify the mode of payment which you shall be using to remit the money to the bank. As mentioned earlier mode of payment to the bank can be either cash or cheque.
- After filling in all the details in the form accurately you can then submit the form and the draft will be ready post which it will be issued within an hour.
SBI charges certain amount as the fee for issuing demand draft. The amount of fee depends on the amount of the draft. With revolution in the banking sector too, many of the offline banking services have now been replaced with online banking services. Without even visiting the bank you can get almost all of your bank work done sitting at home through their website. Even Demand Draft can be made online. Online process of making a DD is as follows:
- Visit the website of SBI.
- Click on the option reflecting Payments and Transfer, followed by opting for Demand Draft. This will open the dialogue box of Demand Draft page.
- Before that you will have to enter the profile password and then click on the Submit option. This will lead you to the form which will demand some of the details.
- Start filling the information with verifying the demand draft limit. The limit can be changed as per your requirements.
- Select the account from which draft has to be issued. Enter the amount of the draft
- Fill in the details of person’s and organisation’s name for whom the draft is to be made.
- Fill in the description in the remark section if required.
- Opt for the correct location and branch where the DD will be payable.
- Opt for the delivery mode of your choice. If courier is opted by you, you need to give in accurate address details. Submit the form.
- Confirmation page will be displayed wherein you can check and confirm the details filled in by you.
- Post your confirmation your request will be processed for further proceedings.